News Flash

News Flash
Click the logo to learn more.
11/25/2008 12:17:00 AM

Random Thoughts

I've been reading so much lately.  My goal is close at hand.  In the spring, we'll be making our trek to the PNW.  After we're there and we get the house unpacked and straightened out, well, even before then, we've already discussed how we're going to get started.  The first thing that happens is a compost bin.  I've talked about composting before and the stuff that you can use to compost.  I didn't touch on cold or hot composting but that will come later.


Raised beds, my husband's strawberry patch will definitely go up post haste.  We're planning on growing reds and yellows.  Raspberries, too.  My personal favorites are blueberries and we're going to have a few bushes growing.  All of this in hopes that we'll have strawberries, blueberries and raspberries from the beginning to the end of the season with plenty to eat fresh and plenty to can.  I'm excited about a trellis of grapes and kiwis.  We can eat kiwi for snacks for days and days.

I have some small things going right now.  After the rabbits got in and ate everything, I put out some garlic when it got cooler.  I don't know if I caught it before it went to seed or not, I hope I did, if not I'm going to have some tiny heads of garlic come next year.  I'm still stunned at the fact that they ate it all while my dogs were out there.  Those are some fairly brave critters.

I guess I'm just sitting back enjoying everyone's success at growing their gardens and I'm just dying to get to a point where I can get my big one going instead of having such a small one now.  Not that my landlord didn't advocate us getting out there and gardening, but on the scale that he plants, we needed a tractor to till it all and we didn't have one and by the time the old man got around to getting his out there, the growing season was over.  Then he past away.

I am very much looking forward to getting back to the west coast.  So many strange things have been happening of late, like our land lord's passing, it just seems after being away from home (I say that and I'm not from there) and wanting so much to get back for these past few years that we finally decided to .. well just go back.  It seems like the right time.  And we both have wanted so much to go back to Portland.  

So the plan is get there, get a house, and then get the garden going.  Once we've taken that step, we'll get the chickens and the quail, then go for the rabbits.  And hopefully in the future, bees.  

I know it won't happen over night and we'll take it one project at a time starting with a composting bin.  =)

0 comments:

I'm Green Inside!

I'm Green Inside!
How green are you?

The Growing Challenge

The Growing Challenge
Just one more...

Fred's Fine Fowl

Fred's Fine Fowl
All things poultry