News Flash

News Flash
Click the logo to learn more.
6/05/2008 01:02:00 AM

Preserving The Harvest

I think that it is important to remember where I came from. Endless hours of harvesting, shelling peas and beans, shucking corn, cutting down peeled tomatoes and peppers, onions. Canning tomato relish both green and red. Putting up quart after pint of fresh vegetables. A rainbow of jellies and jams. Fresh cream straight out of the utter being skimmed and skimmed again, endless pouring milk from one container to another, skim and then there is enough fresh cream to cook with, to have on the side so that my father can start his unhealthy journey into high cholestrol in later life.

I remember how to do it, even though I only did small things, I was there for the entire process. But even with those memories, I'm still researching for better ways or even some coaching on the old ways. I came across this place for How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Any Fruit or Vegetable at Home. Nifty site that is safely at a 8 on the greener meter. It's easily navagated and has an amazing wealth of good information on how to do what our grandparents did and some of our parents, too.

I'm enjoying this site as it is giving me answers for things I never really knew why they happened in the process, only that it did happen. I'm gonna be taking lots of notes from a much wiser woman!

0 comments:

I'm Green Inside!

I'm Green Inside!
How green are you?

The Growing Challenge

The Growing Challenge
Just one more...

Fred's Fine Fowl

Fred's Fine Fowl
All things poultry